Hi Folks! Using Active for all of our eBooks. Works great. Here's what we're trying to do.
We have a web page that's set up to let a customer enter a discount code. We make that page available using <iframe> tag in an eBook. Right now, the eBook is only 2 pages. The index is a short intro, to explain that the book only opens one time. The second page (that is the one we want to protect) includes the iframe to the web page.
So, how do we do this. We have tried different combinations, using simple 123 password, etc. Seems that we can not get this to open just ONE TIME, and then stop opening. Maybe we've got the wrong pages password protected? Not following this... sorry.
Hmmm.... no replys? That's unusual here. Let me put it this way. I want to make a simple 2 page book. I want the book to open to PAGE A, but only one time. Then, when the person tries to open a second time, they go to PAGE B, which will tell them that the book is expired.
How can I set this up? Which pages get protected? Your help is appreciated!
Sorry for taking so long to get back here, but we finally figured out what we were doing wrong (duh).
The project was to have a simple ebook. 2 pages. We wanted it to open ONCE. If the person trys to open it a second time, he gets to the PASSWORD page. Basically, at that time, the book is locked and done with.
The reasoning is this. We use electronic coupons. We let a potential customer download the discount coupon which is in fact an eBook. The page that opens is actually an iframe to a page on the site. The reader enters his code and gets a 'thank you'.
Our cart system calculates the discount we provide on a cookie. When he completes the sale, the final page also clears the discount cookie. Therefore, it's important to allow it to only open one time. Otherwise, the customer could re-register the coupon and keep getting the discount.
Hope that clears up the original question. We were just not reading the selection (in the compiler) to reset the book. It works just fine now! Great software!
Yes, you are right. The ebook can be opened on a second computer and 99% of the time that is what you want. What I understand is that you are concerned about the other 1% who open it on a second computer for some nefarious reason. This raises several questions.
From a practical business sense how much are you willing to spend to prevent this from happening? Are you concerned enough to inconvenience the other 99% by having them log onto the internet? Even then it isn't a foolproof that you can prevent it from happening because the only two ways you can verify the user is either through their IP address (which changes frequently if they are on dialup or use a dynamic IP address) or have them log in (which means they can make up a new username/password. Not to mention all of the time and trouble to implement such a system.
Maybe if you explain what damage you expect to be done by the user installing the ebook on a second machine your concerns can be better addressed. Maybe, I'm not fully grasping the danger involved.
With any business, it is up to the individual owner of said business to ensure the success of the business. You may make more or less than any sample figures or results that might be quoted on our web sites or other publications. All business involves risk, and many businesses do not succeed. Further, Answers 2000 Limited does NOT represent that any particular individual or business is typical, or that any results or experiences achieved by any particular individual/business is necessarily typical.
Our company's websites' content (including this website's content) includes advertisements for
our own company's websites, products, and services,
and for other organization's websites, products, and services.
In the case of links to other organization's websites,
our company may receive a payment, (1) if you purchase products or services,
or (2) if you sign-up for third party offers, after following links from this website.
Unless specifically otherwise stated, information about other organization's products and services,
is based on information provided by that organization,
the product/service vendor, and/or publicly available information - and should
not be taken to mean that we have used the product/service in question.
Additionally, our company's websites contain some adverts which we are paid
to display, but whose content is not selected by us, such as Google AdSense ads. For more
detailed information, please see Advertising/Endorsements Disclosures
constitutes consent for this. For details, please see Privacy.
Click privacy for information about our company's privacy, data collection and data retention policies, and your rights.