This is a file used by genealogists, to search for ancestors born in a special area. I don't know the proper English name for it - in Swedish it's called "church books".
I could divide it in smaller parts, but then I have another question - can I in an ebook make a sort of menu page with comboboxes to choose page in the first step? This should really be a neater solution...
KC - you have been most helpful in this matter and I really appreciate it.
1. Using JS and/or the Activ Scirpt feature you could make a search form. Generating the search results could be very slow unless you have some way to just pick out the matching records rather than examne every item
However if you know the possible searches before hand, and there ain't too manycombinations, or at least part of them, you could cheat. e.g. say if field 1, 2, 3 only have a relatively few combinations then you could make pre-made search results pages with all matches with all possible matches for these types of searches. If field 4 is tougher, like a text wildcard search, say, you could make this result by fitlering out matches from your pre-made pages. More complicated to code but this would solve the speed issue, probably.
2. Using the API you could write a DLL to search thi info. If the records are not too big (or the searchable fields at least) are not too big, this could be super fast as 100,000 records might fit into memory. BUT the downside is you need C/C++ skills to do this
3. Put ASP/CGI/PHP pages on your site with this functionality. Frame them into the ebook. This would work - also if you already have them - no additional coding required - but requires user connects to Internet to use these functions. Don't forget to turn off automatically open Internet links in a new window.
4. Maybe some kind of Java applet ? Downside is need java coding skills, plus you have the issue of different Java virtual machines, IE5.5 SP2 and later lacking Java compatibility, unless additional software is installed etc. So you need to sort out exactly what users need to install, example, might be the Java run time from some time.
5. I am not sure, but I guess it might possible to do this in Flash.
With any business, it is up to the individual owner of said business to ensure the success of the business. You may make more or less than any sample figures or results that might be quoted on our web sites or other publications. All business involves risk, and many businesses do not succeed. Further, Answers 2000 Limited does NOT represent that any particular individual or business is typical, or that any results or experiences achieved by any particular individual/business is necessarily typical.
Our company's websites' content (including this website's content) includes advertisements for
our own company's websites, products, and services,
and for other organization's websites, products, and services.
In the case of links to other organization's websites,
our company may receive a payment, (1) if you purchase products or services,
or (2) if you sign-up for third party offers, after following links from this website.
Unless specifically otherwise stated, information about other organization's products and services,
is based on information provided by that organization,
the product/service vendor, and/or publicly available information - and should
not be taken to mean that we have used the product/service in question.
Additionally, our company's websites contain some adverts which we are paid
to display, but whose content is not selected by us, such as Google AdSense ads. For more
detailed information, please see Advertising/Endorsements Disclosures
constitutes consent for this. For details, please see Privacy.