Edwood, I stand by my original comment, unless you have more info to share - you might also want to read the bit below beginning "This suggests..."
tettettester, I think you need to calm down. There are also some misunderstandings that I feel compelled to correct:
> Sunil -- Hard to believe you're a tech on this product.
I am the author of Activ E-Book Compiler software.
My company, Answers 2000 Limited also owns this web site.
> "Fiddle with printer options"?? The program does not print multiple pages, PERIOD. You Know That.
Yes, and we have never hidden that. It prints the current HTML page just like a web browser.
This is explained in the Help - and can also be seen by printing from our Help e-book or e-books created with the free trial version.
However, this does not seem to be the problem that Edwood is asking about: "When I've tried to print, I get everything on the page except the text!"
This suggests a problem with the printer settings, lack of memory in the printer, something wrong with the printer driver, Windows printer settings etc. I also have heard that some versions of IE do sometimes seem to struggle on certain printers with certain pages. With no detailed information about all these variables, I am simply guessing - but changing the print options in IE (for example not printing the background etc.) might help.
> Nor does it allow blocking and copying to the clipboard.
It does allow copying to the clipboard. Select the text, then do copy.
In the registered version copy can be disabled from the Edit Security dialog box.
> What confuses me is why your company is trying to turn a product which is basically good for a two-page marketting ad, into something it is not, like e-book software.
Our own Help e-book is considerably larger than two pages (over 100 pages)
Many users' ebooks are larger than "two-page marketting ad". I have seen many ebooks by users - some are large, some small, some absolutely massive... and some users' ebooks are absolutely SUPERB in content and/or presentation and/or interactive facilities. Of course, not all are superb, it depends on the skill of the author.
The ebooks produced with Activ E-Book Compiler are Windows programs - if you are looking for "digital paper", for example for printing the whole thing out in one go, as you seem to be, then maybe use PDF.
Again we have never hidden this - see for example
(and you'll notice that is our company's site too)
> And then make all the usual Techie "see-no evil, hear no evil, its the other guy's fault" excuses. Grow up people. stop ripping people new to the industry off.
Nobody is being ripped off
Our software has FREE version, which can be used to produce usable e-books, and no time limits
If you want the option of the additional features, you have the option to register for $29.95. Other HTML to EXE compilers charge more (often with no free trial) - for example, one competitor charges $197 for their compiler, plus a fee per e-book that you distribute after you reach a certain number of copies.
We also explicitly ask people NOT to register until they have tried the free version and made an e-book using it, it clearly tells people this in the ordering process.
For those people who do register, we also clearly publish, on more than one page of our site, plus an e-mail that goes to EVERY customer, that if you register and not satisified, or simply change your mind, contact us within 30 days, and we'll give your money back. If you want this, tettettester, e-mail us at email@example.com including name/receipt number/etc.
If you do register, we have NEVER charged for upgrades to new versions - and we have released 4 major upgrades (2.0x, 3.0x, 4.0x, 4.2x) and some additional minor upgrades, since we started selling the software.
We also have several FREE web sites to help people including this one,www.ebookapprentice.comwww.ebookinterviews.comwww.ebookcode.com
Basically to summarize to you, tettettester:
1. If you are using the free version of our software and don't like it, I'm sorry you don't like it - but nobody is forcing you to use it. There are alternatives. Different people like different programs, for different reasons. This is why we offer a FREE version to try out before you buy anything. I see from other posts that you are using/trying PDF - if you prefer that for your particular project(s), fine. Every different software product has (different) limitations and features, choose the one that suits your goals best.
2. If you are using the registered version, and are not satisified, we will refund you. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, date of purchase (if known), and receipt/ticket number. I don't know who you, and whether you've paid, so I can't do anything without this information.
3. I do NOT like your tone in your last post, or the level of aggression ("Grow up people.", "stop ripping people ... off" ) that I feel is present, and I do NOT consider it appropriate for this board.
4. Just so you know, I have looked over ALL your posts on this board. If your sole purpose on this board is to rant about how much you don't like our software, you are welcome to your opinion, but it ain't the purpose of this board
- if using the free version: see point 1
- if you paid to register: see point 2
On-topic posts which help others, or are comments, suggestions, discussion, debate, even criticisms are welcome on this board. If you can live within this, then I encourage you to continue to participate in this board, whether or not you use our company's software. Thank you in advance for your understanding and anticipated cooperation.