This is a final list of major features (not bug fixes) that are included in the new version (4.20), and replaces the "Pre-Announcement" thread that was previously in this forum.
Contrary to what I said earlier this will go out as 4.20 (not 4.10). The reason for this is simply I think it is way too confusing to have 4.01 and 4.10!
You are welcome to comment and ask questions.
I expect the Beta to go out this week (week beginning 11th March). I am already using the software myself, and it is simply a question of clearing up administrative issues such as placing a backup copy off-site etc., making a download site
If you would like to help beta test, please post your name, and email to this thread, or email me at email@example.com with BETA in the subject line, please include which version of Windows and IE you have on your system.
The ideal beta tester would be somebody who can test the new version hard, is a reasonably PC/HTML aware (or even an expert), can report any problems clearly and concisely (e..g. exact steps to reproduce the problem), and is not going to be crushed if they find a problem in the beta (which is possible -that's the point!). Beta testers can keep the old version on your PC as well.
If beta testing, please do NOT pass on any ebooks you make with the beta, wait for the official release, or compile ebooks for distribution with the old version.
For those waiting for the new version who aren't interested in beta testing... I don't expect your wait to be too long. I won't give even an approximate time frame though, as the time frame will depend on the results of the beta testing. Once the beta testing is complete, the official release which will either be 4.20 or 4.21 will be available to download from ebookcompiler.com and will also be announced in our email newsletter
This list omits most minor features/changes and bug fixes for the sake of brevity... (you can read these all in the Readme file)
Sorry about the formatting....
* The number of files allowed in e-books created with the trial version is now increased to 25 (previously 10).
E-BOOK SECURITY OPTIONS
* PrintScreen and ALT+PrintScreen are disabled if Allow Users To Copy is not set
* Added Advanced options dialog box this allows setting the File Protection for HTML Files and Cache Protection, as well as insertion of 4 X 8 digit Security Codes.
E-BOOK START UP BEHAVIOUR
* New option to set the extra delay for the splash screen. 0.0 to 9.9 seconds, in 0.1 second steps.
* New option to set whether a percentage bar is shown the splash screen.
* The Start Up tab has been reorganized for a neater layout.
* File Protection for HTML Files can be set to Low Security or High Security. In general, High Security is recommended. In this case, HTML files are
E-BOOK USER INTERFACE
* Options of 3 new Toolbar buttons: Next, Previous, Exit - Next/Previous step through pages in the same order as Table Of Contents - Exit, exits the ebook
* New option to show/hide link destinations in Status Bar text.
* New option to display or hide link destinations in Next/Previous Tooltips.
* New option to enable Balloon Tooltips.
* New option to determine if Tooltips display long or short descriptions.
* New option to hide scroll bars.
* New options for selecting + editing "language files". This allows translation/customization of menus, toolbars, message boxes with your own text. Should work 8-bit Latin Alphabet languages (Example: French, Spanish, German), sorry not other languages with different alphabets etc. (Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, etc).
EDIT SYSTEM PAGES
* The color selection combo/pop-up boxes have been redone, they also show you the hex color codes.
* Move Up + Down is much now faster. This is not very noticeable for small e-books, but is very noticeable for e-books containing a large number of HTML files.
PROCESSING FORMS WITH ACTIV SCRIPT
* Support for local processing of FORMs on the client using Activ Script. Set METHOD=POST and ACTION= to an Activ Link (to run the script). A new Activ Script command, FSET, allows you to retrieve values from the last form submitted into Activ Variables.
* Much faster, especially on larger ebooks
* Startup displays much earlier in the Startup process
E-BOOK PRINTING CHANGES
* New feature: The printing headers and footers are now generated from information in language file.
* By default, the footer shows the e-book's copyright message on the left, and the short date (formatted according to Control Panel settings) on the right.
* New feature: Invoke Activ Links using the FORM METHOD=POST
* New statement: FSET - retrieves form variables entered from the last form that triggered an Activ Link.
* New statement: NEXT - equivalent to pressing next button
* New statement: PREVIOUS - equivalent to pressing previous button
* New statement: NAVIGATEEXT - this statement will navigate to an arbitrary local file, whereas NAVIGATE will assume local files are part of the e-book.
* New statement: CLEARCACHE - this statement will clear the cache of any pages e-book from this e-book. Normally it should not be necessary to call this statement.
* New feature: Activ Script and Activ Variables can now be accessed from JScript and VBScript code on the page.
EXE FILE SIZE
* Recompile your ebook with 4.20, e-book is typically about 80K less that 4.01
Version 4.20 of Activ E-Book Compiler is now in the archive, and ready to go for beta testing.
Emails are being prepared now, and will be sent within the next 24 hours.
There is also a new version of the Advanced Multimedia Extension (www.ebookpower.com) also version 4.20. This one updates/enhances the documentation, plus adds a nice program for maving recordings of screen activities - very handy for making tutorial type ebooks. Again email will go out inside the next 24 hours.
This is - to me anyway, so exciting! I'm also so glad to be back in the forum - I crashed about a month ago and although I did back everything up, whatever was wrong with my computer caused the back ups to be - well, in short, not backed up! I could find the forum!
Anyway, I'm in the process of making quite a big e-book rght now and will am downloading the beta version right now as I type this. I will be happy to let you know how it goes, Sunil and promise I will re-compile it in 4.01 before I put it on my site for sale!
I am just about finished - just have to make the index and contents now but have my newsletter to finish up as well but hopefully I'll know how it went by the weekend. Wish me well! I'm sure it's going to be great.
Thanks so much for keeping us up on all the info, too.
4.20 is looking reasonably good so far, and a lot of people have downloaded it. Some good feedback already, more will be appreciated
There are some bugs in the 4.20 beta that have been found (finding them is the point of having a beta, so even though I wish there weren't and am kicking myself for the 2 definite ones found so far, I'm not too unhappy).
Here is the list of 4.20 bugs/issues so far
1. There is a problem with unlocking password protected ebooks if security on HTML files is set to high. This seems to be intermittent.
Solution: Pretty sure (90%+?) I found the fix, need to confirm it, and then will be included in the "official release"
2. If you enter a password in a ebook made using 4.01, then recompile the using 4.20, and then set my password status to not entered, it stays as correct password entered.
Solution: I found the fix, need to confirm it, and then will be included in the "official release"
3. One person reports the install program did not set up the icons on his start menu in Win XP. Other people are not getting this problem (no other reports, and doesn't happen on my XP systems). This user was clever, and worked round it by adding the icons to his start menu manually.
Solution: Further investigation needed. We use a standard setup program (InnoSetup) so I'll try and find out if this is aknown problem, an oddity on this particular PC etc.
4. One person has a problem part way through compiling. On this person's system it apparently worked until he got a glitch when norton updated itself.
Solution: More investigation needed. Some other info he sent suggests it might be a problem on his system
5. One person has a problem with ebook crashing while running.
Solution: More investigation need. I think this is most likely that something went wrong during the download.
Based on this, my plan is to investigate and close out the above, plus anything else that comes out during the beta, and then release 4.21 as the official version. Currently you should expect 4.21 in approx early April.
I found an intermittent problem [actually two] that corrupts the text in the status bar. I believe this is the cause of #5
Allthough I have not been able to replicate the crash, (I have good reason to believe that this problem could have cause random crashes while navigating).
In most cases this bug would cause purely cosmetic problem (if the Hide Status Links option is not checked (the default), you would get corrupted text in the status bar, but as I say I think this can cause random GPFs while reading the e-book.
Is it possible the icons were created in the "All Users" start menu, and not in the "Current" start menu? This happens to me sometimes when I install a new program. I then have to copy and paste the icons.
Thanks Jeff, yes I think it could be that. A light went off in my head when I read your idea. So you have given me something to research. Thanks
After a marathon session debugging, #6 is tracked down and have a fix for it. It is actually three problems
(a) 4.20 (only) is slow if a file compresses to > 256K. This would mostly likely occur on e-books containing large binary files, such as AVI, WAV, JPEG, GIF, EXE, etc. which are at least 256K in size (b) There is extra passing thru the cache (does it twice on start) in 4.20 (only). This is most noticeable on some ME and Windows XP systems with a large IE cache setting. (c) The search thru cache is inefficient in 4.00, 4.01 and 4.20. Again this is most noticeable on some ME and Windows XP systems with a large IE cache setting. This also causes another problem, which is slow shut down of the book.
I have fixes for all 3
I found a bug #8, which I also have a fix for. This has been present since at least 4.00 and probably before. Nobody ever's noticed, so I guess it's rare. There is a slight memory leak for e source files that are 0 bytes in size. If you have a lot of 0 byte files - at least dozens, probably hundreds (why you'd want to I don't know, but it's possible it could happen), this *might* cause a problem. Like I say, this seems never to have happened in the field.
#9, found and fix for bug which I think has been present since 4.00. This is to do with nested conditional/loop statements in Activ Script. The nested condition expressions are still evaluated in 4.00, 4.01 and 4.20 even if the outer condition says not to execute the inner code. In 4.00 and 4.01, 4.20 there is an easy work round by assigning a default value to variables at the outer most level of nesting. 4.21 fixes it. If you have never seen this problem, don't worry about it.
4.21 is complete, and should be made available for download in the next day or two. I will be sending copies to a couple of people who discovered specific bugs (and agreed to take a look) before making it more widely available.
4.21 will initially also be a beta. This means it fixes the bugs that were found in the 4.20 beta, but includes no new features beyond those in 4.20
4.21 beta is also a "release candidate". This means if the beta performance is satisfactory, then it will become the official release. If it isn't then we repeat the cycle and going to 4.22.
I am hopeful, but not certain, 4.21 will become the official release.
#11 - possible (?) fix in 4.21. Apparently this is not a new problem (occured in versions prior to 4.20), and it may be a problem with a third party application.
#12 - fixed in 4.21. There was a difference between how API extensions are handled in 4.20 vs 4.01/4.00. 4.21 has been set to work the old way (like 4.01 or 4.00). This is not technically a bug, but it could cause problems with some API extensions. However I think this is so obscure that I doubt anybody except us (Answers 2000) has seen this!
4.21 was held up to fix #10, #11, #12. These are done now, email announcement being prepared now.
I just installed the new version, and guess what. Icons were installed in my "All Users" start menu, but not in my current (default) start menu. Why did I know that would probably happen! I easily converted all six of my eBooks without any problems. Looks real nice. Thanks, Jeff.
With any business, it is up to the individual owner of said business to ensure the success of the business. You may make more or less than any sample figures or results that might be quoted on our web sites or other publications. All business involves risk, and many businesses do not succeed. Further, Answers 2000 Limited does NOT represent that any particular individual or business is typical, or that any results or experiences achieved by any particular individual/business is necessarily typical.
Our company's websites' content (including this website's content) includes advertisements for
our own company's websites, products, and services,
and for other organization's websites, products, and services.
In the case of links to other organization's websites,
our company may receive a payment, (1) if you purchase products or services,
or (2) if you sign-up for third party offers, after following links from this website.
Unless specifically otherwise stated, information about other organization's products and services,
is based on information provided by that organization,
the product/service vendor, and/or publicly available information - and should
not be taken to mean that we have used the product/service in question.
Additionally, our company's websites contain some adverts which we are paid
to display, but whose content is not selected by us, such as Google AdSense ads. For more
detailed information, please see Advertising/Endorsements Disclosures
constitutes consent for this. For details, please see Privacy.